History of the Square

Originally known as St. Peter’s Field, the Square was built on the southern edge of Manchester in the late 18th Century and soon became the focus of the town’s intellectual and cultural activity. In 1907 St. Peter’s Church was demolished and the Central Library and Town Hall Extension built from 1934-1938.

The extensive renovations to the Square and its historic buildings combined with the completion of Two St. Peter’s Square will become an important milestone in the Square’s history.